Here at Loose, we provide children with a mix of both specialist and teacher led PE sessions. Our PE curriculum develops the children's knowledge, skills and understanding, so that they can perform with increasing competence and confidence in a range of physical activities. These include dance, games, gymnastics, outdoor and adventurous activity challenges, swimming and water safety and athletics. Loose's PE curriculum inspires all children to succeed and excel in competitive sport and other physically demanding activities. It promotes an understanding in children of their bodies in action. It involves thinking, selecting and applying skills, and it promotes positive attitudes towards a healthy lifestyle. We enable the children to make informed choices about physical activity throughout their lives. We provide opportunities for children to compete in sport and other activities to build character and help to embed our values: Pride, Determination, Compassion, Respect and Trust.
At Loose, our objectives in the teaching of PE are:
· to provide high quality physical education to all children at the school, as stated in the National Standards for teaching PE in primary schools.
· to enable children to develop and explore physical skills with increasing control and coordination;
· to encourage children to work and play with others in a range of group situations;
· to develop the way in which children perform skills, and apply rules and conventions, for different activities;
· to show children how to improve the quality and control of their performance;
· to teach children to recognise and describe how their bodies feel during exercise;
· to develop the children's enjoyment of physical activity through creativity and imagination;
· to ensure children engage in competitive sports and activities;
· to ensure children lead healthy, active lives;
· to develop an understanding in children of how to succeed in a range of physical activities, and how to evaluate their own success.
We use a variety of teaching and learning styles in PE lessons. Our principal aim is to develop the children's knowledge, skills and understanding, and we do this through a mixture of whole-class teaching and individual or group activities. In order to support our teachers and specialist teachers deliver the PE curriculum we invest in a fantastic scheme called GetSet4PE. GetSet4PE provides teachers with a huge range of brilliant resources to support their teaching including video demonstrations and structured sequences to slowly build skills towards a final performance. Teachers draw attention to good examples of individual performance as models for the other children, and we encourage the children to evaluate their own work as well as the work of other children. Within lessons, we give the children the opportunity both to collaborate and to compete with each other, and they have the opportunity to use a wide range of resources. As well as both fantastic specialist teaching, well-supported teacher led teaching we also benefit from expert swimming coaching in our own on-site pool to ensure children are able to meet the swimming requirements of the national curriculum.